Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Winter is Coming!

It is beautiful here in Alaska.  The weather is more like what you expect from seasons.  Yesterday was Autumnal equinox.  That means that the days and nights are exactly equal.  Yep!  7:30 sunrise; 7:30 sunset.  In kids' books about seasons,  you always see kids in coats during fall with the pretty yellow, orange, and red leaves all around.  Growing up, we were lucky if we saw 60 degrees in fall.  You saw all those cute sweaters in the store and through, "I might get to wear that in December."  Not here,  this morning it is 35 degrees.  The autumn leaves are everywhere.  They even stay on the trees for a  while for us to enjoy.  The girls and I have found our favorite tree.  It is taller than the other trees in its stand.  It is a brilliant orange.  Emily said, "That can only be our family's special tree, not anyone else."  

The beauty brings with it a little fear.  Every day, as the clouds recede off the mountain tops, there is a little more snow, a little further down.  The tops of the mountains are completely white.  We are told that by October, which, by the way is next week, we will probably have snow.  Others say that snow may not be here until after Halloween.  One thing Alaskans agree on is that the weather can be unpredictable.  I am used to that being from the South.

Today I am going to the girls' school to help in Samantha's class with a book club.  I hope she isn't embarrassed by me.  I think it will be fun.  I always like to meet her friends and classmates.  

2 comments:

Maranda said...

I'm so glad you're blogging! It's stinking 87 degrees here today...we're ready for Fall! I had another dream about you the other night-you DROVE to Arkansas to visit with some friends from Alaska. I want to see some pics of your house-I'm sure you've got it looking beautiful!

KathyH said...

I'm sure you'll make Smantha proud!

Somehow I hadn't thought of you having beautiful fall leaves there. I envisioned those huge trees visible from your deck staying green all year. Are they changing, too?
Hey, I read about you in the Bible this morning--

"She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work...She is energetic and strong, a hard worker...Her hands are busy...She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy. She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes."